Selecting a Flume for Water Rights Measurement

When measuring certain types of flow, accuracy is of the utmost importance, and this is especially true when it comes to measuring water rights withdrawals. Increasingly, State Engineer’s Offices are requiring water rights management operations to use flow measuring devices, and this makes it crucial that you use the right device in your system.

If you need to measure water rights withdrawals, it’s a good idea to learn about your different flow measuring device options. Here is some information about flumes for water rights measurement, and tips for purchasing tools for your system from a trusted manufacturer.

Choosing Your Measuring Device

Although there are several options for measuring water rights withdrawals, the most popular option is a flume. When installing a flume, you’ll be getting a versatile device that can take the extremely accurate measurements that you need to comply with your State Engineer’s Office regulations.

For most water rights operations, the best choice for a primary device is a Parshall flume. The most widely used flume type on the market today, a Parshall flume provides a variety of features that are ideal for measuring water rights. For instance, a Parshall flume can be installed fairly quickly, and is available in a variety of sizes, meaning they can be used in both large and small operations. However, Parshall flumes may not be the best choice in systems where you cannot easily adjust the downstream or upstream hydraulics.

Another flume that you could use for water rights measurement is a Cutthroat flume. The main benefit of the Cutthroat flume is its flat floor, which means you won’t have to raise the floor of the flume during installation. Also, because these flumes have vertical side walls, they can handle a wide range of flow types.

Generally, any flume that can be used in agricultural operations can also be used for water rights operations.

Construction Material

Once you’ve decided which type of flume you’ll use in your system, you also need to decide on your flume’s construction material. Typically, two types of material are used in water rights systems: galvanized steel and fiberglass.

While many people choose galvanized steel for its cost, these flumes require a great deal of maintenance and are at risk for several types of environmental damage. If you want the most utility from your flume possible, then fiberglass is the better construction material. For one, fiberglass is lightweight, making for a much easier installation. Second, fiberglass is resistant to corrosion, UV light, and other environmental stressors, reducing the need for regular maintenance.

Purchase Flumes for Water Rights Measurement

Choosing the right flume is an important part of the continued success of your water rights operation. Whether you choose a Parshall or Cutthroat flume, you should be able to take accurate readings and have a measurement solution that will last for years to come, particularly if your flume is made from fiberglass. Purchase the flumes for water rights measurement that you need today by shopping with Tracom, FRP.

Tracom produces the finest fiberglass flumes on the market today, and we can help you choose the products that are right for your system. Request a quote today.


Tracom News

More Resources!

Wastewater Management Device News

Your Guide to Fiberglass Control Panel Consoles

Control panels are essential to every single aspect of wastewater management and water treatment facilities. These are areas where your control and monitoring instruments, equipment ...
Read More →
Wastewater Management Device News

Your Guide for H Flume Installation

H flumes are some of the most versatile open channel flow tools, providing the consistently accurate readings that your operation needs. One of the benefits ...
Read More →